Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Step By Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Northamptonshire Record Office, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Indexes[edit | edit source]
- Online Probate Index 1469-1857 The Northamptonshire and Rutland Probate Index has been created from several of the earlier indexes of probate records held in the Northampton Record Office. The index contains 87,058 entries that cover the period 1469 to 1857.
Printed and Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
Indexes in The Family History Library:
The Family History Library has the following on film. Films can be viewed in the Library or in a family history center.
- Calendars of wills, administrations & etc.
- Card index to wills before 1858
- indexes to wills and admons 1626-1797
- Calendar of Wills 1510-1652
- Calendar of Wills 1752-1857
Records[edit | edit source]
Archive Locations[edit | edit source]
The original records are housed in the--
Northamptonshire Record Office
Wootton Hall Park
United Kingdom County Council
Tel: 44-(0)1604 362513
Hours of opening:
Consult Record Office website
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
- Original Wills & Administrations (Admons) 1542-1858
- Unproved Wills 1627-1857
- Noncupative Wills 1725-1800
- Administrations & Inventories 1630-1642
- Act Books 1597-1699
- Inventories 1591-1650 (published by the Banbury Historical Society)
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
The Family History Library has the following records. Films can be viewed in the library or in a family history center.
- Register copy wills
- Original wills 1638-1722
- Administration account 1660-1685
- Administrations, inventories, 1660-1724
- Original wills, administrations, inventories, 1725-1858
- Unproved Wills 1627-1877
- Noncupative Wills 1729-1758
Jurisdiction[edit | edit source]
Banbury is a peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The court's jurisdiction covers Banbury and it's hamlets.
Also see the Peculiar Court of Aylesbury (see Buckinghamshire Probate Records) which as well holds some probate records for Banbury.