Court of the Archdeaconry of Ely
Step by Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see "Indexes" below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Records" section (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library or one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers  worldwide and search the indexes; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons on microfilm.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Indexes[edit | edit source]
Printed or Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
The original and microfilmed records listed below under the Records section include indexes.
In addition, the Family History Library and other repositories have the following index:
Records[edit | edit source]
Archive Location[edit | edit source]
Box RES 1009
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
The original records of this court are deposited at the Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies in the city of Cambridge. Contact the archives for assistance.
The records include:
- Original wills, 1513-1857
- Registered wills, 1521-1858
- Original administrations, inventories, tuitions, etc., 1662-1858
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
Records are on microfilm and are available at the Family History Libray in Salt Lake City, and through family history centers. They include:
[edit | edit source]
This court had jurisdiction in the following Cambridgeshire parishes: