Costessey, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Costessey, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Forehoe|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
COSSEY, or Costessey, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Forehoe district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wensum. 
Costessey St Edmund is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich.
A mediaeval church with 19th century renovation. The tower was not completed and has a brick built bell stage. A wooden tower was replaced in 1930 with a lead clad spirelet. A more comprehensive history of this location is available here. Note that it seems to work better in a Firefox browser.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Forehoe 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Costessey, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Costessey, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 280 /1-9
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Genealogy[edit | edit source]
Coles, Carol. Hastings in Costessey. History of descendants of William Hastings and Hannah nee Howard. Article has descendants names, Trudgett, (Truggett), Wicks, and covers years 1757-1916, and is found in The Norfok Ancestor, vol.9 pt. 3, pages 166-167, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j new series v.9.pt.3 (Sept 2012)
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Costessey on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.