Copford, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Copford, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Michael and All Angels Copford Essex
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Lexden and Winstree|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629; 1639; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Copford, is a parish in Lexden district, Essex; it is on the river Roman, 1 1/2 miles E of Marks Tey railways station, and 4 miles SW of Colchester.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Copford parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£) and Boyd's London Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|Copford Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Society of Friends (Quaker)
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
'There were two churchwardens, two overseers, and two constables. A widow was deemed unfit to serve as overseer in 1699. In the later 18th century two to seven people attended vestry meetings. In 1766 a deputy acted for a female overseer, but in 1776 and 1808 a female overseer supervised the workhouse cloth supplies. In 1818 a salaried overseer was appointed.
'Bequests were sometimes made for the poor, and Hezekiah Haynes by will made 1693 left £5. Between 1747 and 1755 from 51 to 53 householders paid the poor rate and nine to twelve families received regular payments; by 1761 there were were usually 12 to 14 recipients but 21 in October that year. In the period 1772-9 the number of regular recipients ranged from five to ten and there were 52 to 56 ratepayers. Occasional cash doles were made for rent, burial expenses, and hospital charges. Children were sometimes boarded out. Relief in kind consisted of food, clothing, shoes, cloth, fuel, household equipment, and nursing and mending. In 1795 funds were raised to reduce the price of flour for the poor.
'By the early 19th century relief was mainly in cash. On rare occasions between 1824 and 1835 money was given for tea. The number of families receiving regular payments reached 78 in the winter of 1810-11 and was over 50 in the period 1812-14, subsequently declining to c.30, but rising above 40 again between 1821 and 1823; payments ranged from 1s. to 7s., but were mostly 2s. to 3s. Forty-two poor families had settlement in 1817, totalling c.200 persons, about a third of the total parish population. Numbers receiving outdoor relief fell from c.40 in the period 1825-7 to c.27 in the period 1828-35. Recipients were often described as "ill," especially in 1824-35. A parish doctor was employed from 1751. Payments were frequently made to large families, and to unemployed men notably in 1815 and 1822-3, and occasionally work was provided, for example, in the gravel pit, and mending thatch. In 1815, twelve children were out "at service," and in 1828 a boy was apprenticed to a chair maker in Colchester.
'In 1753 a parish house was enlarged and adapted as a workhouse, partly financed by the sale of two other houses. Food supplies included meat, bread, flour, pork, milk, peas, beans, onions, nutmeg, oatmeal, and small beer, and cloth bought included calico, dyed cotton, print, bays, check, body lining, and drugget. In 1816 there were four bedrooms for inmates, besides the mistress' room, a working room, brew house, kitchen, parlour, and pantry; the eight spinning wheels remained in 1825. Between 1813 and 1824 the number of inmates ranged from five to 22, and between 1824 and 1830 it averaged c.10, decreasing to c.8 in the period 1831-5. The weekly cost was 5s. a head a week between 1813 and 1817, but fell to 3s. 9d. in 1818. Copford workhouse was sold in 1838.
'Expenditure on poor relief in Copford was one of the higher per head of parish population in Lexden hundred. In the period 1748-55 it ranged between £117 and £150 a year, in 1761-2 was £180, and in 1766-7 was £143. In 1776 costs were £220 and in 1783-5 averaged £252 a year. In the early 19th century regular payments constituted about a quarter of total expenditure, the workhouse about a tenth, and casual doles the rest. Costs fluctuated between £646 and £1,686 in the period 1813-27 (equivalent to 24s. 8d. and 36s. 10d. a head), and decreased to range between £728 and £810 (equivalent to 23s. 10d. and 26s. 6d. a head) in the period 1828-34.
'In 1894 Copford parish council was formed with eight members. Before the First World War it provided evening classes in agriculture, nursing, and carpentry at Copford Green and Eight Ash Green. There was a small police station in London Road by the Second World War. Eight Ash Green parish council was established in 1949.'
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Copford Parish comes under the probate jurisdiction of the Commissary Court of the Bishop of London (Essex & Hertfordshire Division). Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
Copford on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (London and Edinburgh, 1870) Adapted: Date Accessed 16 May 2013
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- 'Copford: Local government', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 148-149. British history. Date accessed: 12 February 2011.