Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Concordia Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Concordia Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana, United States Genealogy
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||April 10, 1805|
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 School Records
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Parish Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for Possibly a land grant, New Concordia. The County has Vidalia as its seat and the County was created 1807. The County is located in the east central area of the state.
Concordia Parish, Louisiana Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Parish Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Concordia Parish Courthouse
4001 Carter Street, PO Box 790;
Vidalia, LA 71373-0790
Phone: (318) 336-4204
Parish Clerk has marriage records from 1840,
divorce, probate, court and land records from 1850.
History[edit | edit source]
Parent Parish[edit | edit source]
1805--Concordia Parish was created 10 April 1805 as an original parish.
Parish seat: Vidalia 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
About 1843 A tornado destroyed the courthouse around 1843, destroying most records also.
1927 Courthouse was destroyed by flood in 1927.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties. By Michael John Neill at 24-7 Family History Circle.
- When the Records are Gone. By Arlene Eakle at Arlene Eakle's Tennessee Blog.
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Parishes or Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- African American Cemeteries, listing by county
Biographies[edit | edit source]
- Concordia Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Concordia Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Concordia Parish cemeteries.
Census[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Census Images (USGenWeb Census Images Project)
- Concordia Parish Census Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Concordia Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Concordia Parish Land Records (USGenWeb Archives]
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places:Cities and Towns- How to Use FS Places
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
/search/ Family Maps of Concordia Parish, Louisiana] (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection (USGenWeb Project)
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1883 Pensioners List (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- Company F: CSA. Concordia Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
Regiments. Service men in Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company F
World War I[edit | edit source]
- 1917-1920 - Louisiana World War I Service Records, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- Concordia Parish Marriage Newspaper Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Louisiana Newspaper List, listing by name/parish (USNPL)
- Louisiana Newspaper listing (Newslink)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Index to Concordia Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Concordia Parish Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
School Records[edit | edit source]
- Concordia Parish School Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Concordia Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1844-1855 - Concordia Parish Marriages (Genealogy Trails)
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1910-1920 - Concordia Parish Death Index, 1910-1920 (USGenWeb Project)
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Central Louisiana Genealogical Society
PO Box 12206
Alexandria, LA 71315-2206
- Louisiana Historical Society
- Louisiana Historical Association
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Libraries
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Concordia Parish, Louisiana, LAGenWeb, part of USGenWeb Project.
- Concordia Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Concordia Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Concordia Parish LA Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Concordia, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concordia_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Concordia Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed.Concordia Parish, Louisiana p 289 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Concordia Parish, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concordia_Parish,_Louisiana, accessed 31 December 2019.