Columbia County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Columbia County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Columbia County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||January 16, 1854|
|County Seat||St. Helens|
|Address||Columbia County Courthouse|
244 Strand Street
St. Helens, OR 97051
Columbia County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church History and Records
- 4.4 Court Records
- 4.5 Gazetteers
- 4.6 History
- 4.7 Land and Property
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Military History and Records
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Probate Records
- 4.12 Taxation
- 4.13 Vital Records
- 5 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for the Columbia River. The County is located in the northwest area of the state. 
Columbia County, Oregon Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
County Clerk has marriage records from 1890,
divorce and court records from 1854 and probate records from 1880. 
Records Held at the Courthouse[edit | edit source]
- County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Columbia County Court House as of May 2005.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Quick Facts[edit | edit source]
Named for the Columbia River, which forms the northern and eastern boundaries.
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
- No parts were taken to create any county.
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator
The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|ORGenWeb Archives||FamilySearch Places|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Columbia County, Oregon Cemeteries.
- Oregon Department of Transportation 1978 Cemetery Survey
- Cemeteries managed by the city of Clatskanie
- Rainier Cemetery District
- Oregon Metro
- Oregon Genealogy Cemeteries
Census[edit | edit source]
Territorial and State Census Records (Extant)[edit | edit source]
- 1845 (as part of Tuality County, aka Twality or Twalitain)
- 1849 (as part of Tuality County, aka Twality or Twalitain)
- 1853 (as part of Washington County)
Federal Census Records (Extant)[edit | edit source]
Church History and Records[edit | edit source]
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Land and Property[edit | edit source]
Wiki articles describing land records online are found at Oregon, Columbia County Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military History and Records[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
World War I[edit | edit source]
- 1919-1920 - Oregon, World War I, County Military Service Records, 1919-1920 at FamilySearch — index
- 1921-1938 - Oregon, World War I, Veteran State Aid Applications, 1921-1938 at FamilySearch — index and images
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Historic Oregon Newspapers as a division of the Oregon Digital Newspaper Program has digitzied more than 644,000 pages of newspapers throughout Oregon. Dates range from 1846-1922 with selected issues continuing through 1973.
Of particular interest to Columbia County researchers:
The Columbia Register (Houlton)
The Columbian (St. Helens)
The Oregon Mist (St. Helens)
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Birth Records[edit | edit source]
Delayed Birth Certificates
Marriage Records[edit | edit source]
- 1826-1975 - Oregon, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1849-1884; 1991-2006 - Oregon Marriage Index, 1849-1884; 1991-2006 at FamilySearch — index and images; collection is incomplete.
- Extractions of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index
- Marriage Index 1885-1896 Actually is a book of affiants reporting the marriages. Historical Records Collection
Death Records[edit | edit source]
Societies, Libraries and Museums[edit | edit source]
Columbia Gorge Genealogy Society
722 Court Street
The Dalles 97058
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Libraries
- Rainier Oregon Family History Center 27410 Parkdale Rd. Rainier 97048 United States Location Map
- St Helens Oregon Family History Center2755 Sykes Rd St Helens OR 97051 United States Location Map
- Vernonia Oregon Family History Center1350 East Knott Street Vernonia, OR 97064-9711 United States Location Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Columbia County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Columbia County GenWeb Project part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Columbia County
- The Columbia County Historian compiled by Christopher and Larry Rea
- Oregon, Columbia County Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Columbia, Oregon" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_County,_Oregon accessed 27 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbia County, Oregon . Page 572-574 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 563-564.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbia County, Oregon page 572, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- Wikipedia contributors, "Columbia County, Oregon"," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_County,_Oregon, accessed 3 October 2018.