Colchester All Saints, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Colchester All Saints, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Colchester All Saints, Essex|
Former All Saints Colchester Essex
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Colchester|
|Parish registers: 1609|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1639; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
COLCHESTER, is a borough and a market town, it has a separate jurisdiction, and is the head of a union; it is locally in the Colchester division of the hundred of Lexden, and N division of Essex. It contains the parishes of Bere-Church, Greenstead, Lexden and Mile-End. Colchester is situated on the River Colne.
The parish of All Saints, is an edifice of the 14th century. The other parishes in the town are: St. Giles, St. James, St. Leonard, St. Martin,St. Mary-at-the-Walls, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Nicholas, St. Runwald, Holy Trinity, St. Peter, St. Botolph and St. John. The places of worship within the borough, in 1851, were Church of England, Independents (1863), Baptists, Quakers (1076), Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists, the New Church, Latter Day Saints and Roman Catholics.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Colchester All Saints parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Colchester All Saints Online Parish Records|
Colchester Mile End St Michael parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Colchester Mile End St Michael Parish Online Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Genealogy[edit | edit source]
Knight, Gordon: The Beail Family. History and family tree of Benjamin Beail and Harriet surname unknown, dating from 1831-1956, family is listed in the following places. Essex, Colchester, Leicestershire, Thurmaston, Suffolk, Felixstowe, Milfield, Walton, and Wickham Market. In the family tree other names listed are Larkin, Smith, Davis, Durrant, Keeble and Brett. Article in Roots and Branches, Journal of the Felixstowe Family History Soc. vol. 7, no.3. pages 12-15, FHL 942.64/F5 D25r
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Colchester on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Adapted: Date Accessed 14 May 2013
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England (1870-72) Adapted: Date Accessed 14 May 2013
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 15 May 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 15 May 2012.