Clyst St George, Devon Genealogy
Guide to Clyst St George, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Clyst St George, Devon|
|County||Devon, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||St Thomas|
|Registration District||St Thomas|
|Parish registers: 1754|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1615|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Heritage Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CLIST-ST. GEORGE, a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon; on the river Clist, 2 miles E by N of Topsham r. station, and 4 SE of Exeter. Post town, Topsham, under Exeter. The church is partly Norman; consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, with western tower; has a sedilia, a piscina, and stained glass windows; and was restored in 1860.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Clyst St George, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FSBOOK = FamilySearch Digital Library|
|GOOG = Google Books - free|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Clyst St George, Devon Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Clyst St George on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales published in 1870-72. Date Accessed 25 October 2013.
- John Lomax Gibbs, ed., Registers of Clyst St. George, co. Devon, 1565-1812 (London: The Parish Register Society, 1899). Digitised by FamilySearch Digital Library.
- John Lomax Gibbs, ed., Registers of Clyst St. George, co. Devon, 1565-1812 (London: The Parish Register Society, 1899). Digitised by Google Books - free.
- John Lomax Gibbs, ed., Registers of Clyst St. George, co. Devon, 1565-1812 (London: The Parish Register Society, 1899). Digitised by Internet Archive - free.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.