Cliffe at Hoo, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Cliffe at Hoo, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Cliffe at Hoo, Kent|
Cliffe-at-Hoo St Helen Kent
|Poor Law Union||North Aylesford|
|Registration District||North Aylesford|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Cliffe; Post-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Cliffe or Cliffe-at-Hoo St Helen is an Ancient Parish is a village and civil parish on the Hoo peninsula in Kent. See Cliffe-at-Hoo Wikipedia
The church dates from about 1200 and was a former collegiate church restored in the early 14th century and was restored in 1853 by George Austin with further additions in 1864 and 1884. The church has been designated as a grade I listed building by English Heritage.British listed building The church and associated charnel house form a group of listed buildings.
Malaria was prevalent in the marshes until the farmer Henry Pye drained extensive areas.
See also Kent Archeological Society and Edward Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 412-418. Date accessed: 15 July 2013. at British History Online and Kent Churches website
CLIFFE, or Cliffe-at-Hoo, a village and a parish in North Aylesford district, Kent.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
- North Aylesford Registration District
- Strood Registration District
- Strood and Hoo Registration District
- Chatham Registration District
and registrations from July 1837 to the present day are held at:
The Register Office
Telephone 01634 338902
Fax 01634 338913
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Cliffe at Hoo parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Cliffe at Hoo Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1558-1880||1558-1754, 1813-1905; 1752-1812 (banns)||1558-1882|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Gillingham Family History Centre, Kent
- Canterbury Family History Centre, Kent
- Maidstone Family History Centre, Kent
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales. Date accessed 17 April 2013
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- 'Medway Ancestors Imagebase: list of parishes, in alphabetical order', Cityark, accessed 8 November 2013.