Cley next the Sea, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Cley next the Sea, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Cley next the Sea, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Erpingham|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CLEY (St. Margaret), a small sea-port, a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 26 miles (N. N. W.) from Norwich, and 124 (N. N. E.) from London. It is part of the Glaven Valley which also includes Wiveton, Blakeney, Glandford and Letheringsett. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. 
Cley next the Sea St margaret is an Ancient Parish in the Holt deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
During the Middle Ages it was "one of the principal ports of East Anglia, exporting large quantities of wool and grain. The River Glaven was navigable to large ships as far as Glandford and ran into the sea a half mile north west of Cley." 1612 - a great fire destroyed 117 dwellings near the church. "The Cley Windmill dates from the 1700s although the tower was not completed until some time later. The Customs House and other promienent buildling were also built at this time after much of the old town was destroyed by fire."
William White's 1845 History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk tells that in 1845 Cley next the Sea contained the "custom house for he Port of Blakeney and Cley (including Cromer and several fishing towns)"
Resources[edit | edit source]
If you live in Norfolk or near Blakeney then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access online records at FamilySearch and other sites mentioned on this page. Additional records (microfilm and online) can be viewed at Family History Centers. Refer to Cley and Norfolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Erpingham 1837-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Church records[edit | edit source]
Cley next the Sea, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Cley next the Sea, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1538-1667, 1686-1901||Undefined||1538-1667, 1686-1901||Undefined||1538-1667, 1686-1908|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
- 1705-1706 Image 411
- 1705-1706 Image 412
- 1715-1716 Image 1230
- 1715-1716 Image 1231
- 1722-1723 Image 78
- 1722 Image 79
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 270
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Detrick Mellor, The Glaven Valley: Historical Jottings, booklet (Blakeney, England : 1989) Page 4-5.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 632-635. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- "History" Cley Windmill accessed 4 Mar 2014
- Detrick Mellor, The Glaven Valley: Historical Jottings, booklet (Blakeney, England : 1989) Page 4.
- "History" Cley Windmill, accessed 4 Mar 2014.
- Pat Newby, transcriber, "William White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1845", GenUKI, http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/places/c/cley/white1845.shtml
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Cley next the Sea', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.