Church of England Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Madras 1698 to 1948
Includes indexes and transcripts to baptisms, marriages and burials.
This record contains[edit | edit source]
Baptism[edit | edit source]
- When baptised (year, month, day)
- When born (year, month, day)
- Child's Christian Name
- Parents' Names
- Abode of Parents
- Quality, Trade or Profession of Father
- Name of Priest or Minister by whom the Ceremony was performed
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- When Married
- Names of Parties (Christian & Surname)
- Rank or Profession
- Residence at the time of Marriage
- Father's Name and Surname
- By Banns, or License
- Signatures of the Parties
- Signatures of two or more Witnesses present
- Name and designation of person by whom the ceremony was performed
- Where the marriage was solemnized (name of the church and its' location)
Burial[edit | edit source]
- When died (year, month, day)
- Christian name
- Nationality, Quality, Trade, or Profession
- When buried (year, month, day)
- Cause of death
- Person by whom buried (full name, designation, signature)
- Place of burial
Before using this record know[edit | edit source]
The name of the person you are searching for and an approximate date for their baptism, marriage or burial.
Before using this record search[edit | edit source]
Where to find the record[edit | edit source]
The original records are at the India Office. Microfilm copies are available through the Family History Library and it's centers around the world.
How to search the record[edit | edit source]
- Obtain the index for the event and time period (marriage in 1909)
- Find the person in the index and make note of the year, volume and folio number.
Record sample[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
The dates you have may be different than those recorded in the transcripts. If you fail to find an entry in the index search further on either side of the date you have. Search a few years before and after the date you have or estimated for the event.