Church Stretton with All Stretton and Little Stretton, Shropshire Genealogy
Guide to Church Stretton with All Stretton and Little Stretton, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Church Stretton with All Stretton and Little Stretton, Shropshire|
|County||Shropshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Church Stretton|
|Registration District||Church Stretton|
|Parish registers: 1661|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1638; 1660|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
STRETTON, CHURCH (St. Lawrence), a market town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Munslow, S. division of Shropshire, 13 miles (S. byW.) from Shrewsbury, and 153 (N. W.) from London;containing, with the townships of Minton, All Stretton,and Little Stretton.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Church Stretton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|CHURCH STRETTON PARISH (1661) Online Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1819-1906 Shropshire, Non-Conformist Membership Lists 1819-1906 at FindMyPast ($); index and images (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 246-250. Date accessed: 31 May 2012.
- 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.