Church Hulme, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Church Hulme, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Church Hulme, Cheshire|
Holmes Chapel St Luke
|Poor Law Union||Congleton|
|Parish registers: 1613|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1576|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
St Luke's, Holmes Chapel, [formerly Church Hulme] is an ecclesiastical parish in Cheshire formerly a chapelry in Sandbach St Mary, Cheshire Ancient Parish.
St Luke's Church, Holmes Chapel is in the village of Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the deanery of Congleton.
CHURCH-HULME, is a township-chapelry and a sub-district, in Congleton district, Cheshire. The chapelry lies on the River Dane, and on the Manchester and Birmingham railway, 6½ miles WNW of Congleton; it is in the parish of Sandbach; it also bears the name of Holmes-Chapel; and has a station of that name on the railway, and a post office of the same name under Middlewich. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Church Hulme (alias Holmes Chapel) St Luke chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Church Hulme St Luke Chapelry (1613) Online Records|
|FS BT'S||1658-1899|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Parish registers for Church-Hulme, 1613-1963
Church-Hulme was a chapelry in Sandbach parish. Church-Hulme separated to become a parish in 1866. Early parish registers usually have baptisms, marriages, and burials intermixed until 1813 when baptisms and burials were recorded on printed form registers. Marriages and marriage banns were recorded on printed form registers as early as 1754. Cheshire Record Office call numbers: P82/1/1-3, P82/2, P82/6126/1, P82/3/1-2, P82/4, P82/5/1-2, P82/6576/1, 3, 4, 16.
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in Historical Records (formerly Record Search)
|Parish registers for Church-Hulme, 1613-1963||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1613-1812 (marriages to 1754). Baptisms, 1813-1923. Marriages, 1754-1837. Banns of marriages, 1840-1878. Burials, 1813-1903.||BRITISH 2262707 Items 1 - 10|
|Baptisms, 1841-1923.||BRITISH |
2262741 Item 10
|Baptisms, 1923-1963. Marriages, 1837-1956. Burials, 1903-1961.||2356795 Items 2 - 5|
Bishop's transcripts for Church-Hulme, 1576-1898 Chapelry (later a parish) in Sandbach parish. Also called St. Luke's Church. Cheshire Record Office Call number: EDB 65
An index for Cheshire, Church of England, bishop’s transcripts is available online in FamilySearch Historical Records (formerly Record Search)
|Bishop's transcripts for Church-Hulme, 1576-1898||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1577, 1596, 1600, 1604, 1608, burials, 1607-1609, 1611, 1613-1615, 1617, 1619-1620, 1622, 1624, 1626, 1632-1636, 1658-1660, 1663, 1666-1669, 1672, 1676, 1670-1683, 1685-1690, 1692, 1692-1757, 1759-1762, 1764-1821, 1823, 1827-1828, 1831-1832, 1834, 1835-1837, 1839-1841. Baptisms, 1855-1865. Burials, 1865. Baptisms, burials, 1833, 1838, 1866, 1874, 1876, 1867, 1869, 1868, 1870, 1873, 1871-1872, 1877, 1875, 1878-1898.||BRITISH |
1655594 Item 2
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Church Hulme, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1813, rebuilt in 1900. Registers of baptisms 1844–1973 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Church Hulme, Methodist Chapel (Free). Built in 1851. With burial ground.
Church records for the Knutsford Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church-Hulme, 1844-1973
Cheshire Record Office call number: EMS 187.
An index for Cheshire Non-conformist records is available online in FamilySearch Historical Records (formerly Record Search).
|Church records for the Knutsford Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church-Hulme, 1844-1973||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1844-1882, 1901-1973.||BRITISH |
2299472 Item 4
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage a nd death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Congleton (1837–1937)
- Crewe (1937–74)
- Congleton and Crewe (1974–88)
- South Cheshire (1988–98)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Church Hulme on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Date Accessed: 19 February 2013
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, pp. 42–43, ISBN 1871731232
Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: Batsford, pp. 186–190