Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Chipping Norton|
|Registration District||Chipping Norton|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1669|
|Rural Deanery||Chipping Norton|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford|
|Location of Archive|
|Oxfordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
NORTON, CHIPPING (St. Mary), an incorporated market-town, a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Chadlington, county of Oxford, 19 miles (N. W.) from Oxford, and 74 (N. W. by W.) from London. [The following Nonconformist churches were in existence by 1848:] Baptists, the Society of Friends, Wesleyan Methodist, and also a Roman Catholic chapel. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Chipping Norton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = FamilySearch.org - free.</ref>|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FAMR = Family Relatives - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch.org/search free.</ref>|
|FSBOOK = FamilySearch Books - free|
|GOOG = Google Books - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|OFHS = Oxfordshire Family History Society - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|CHIPPING NORTON PARISH (1563) Online Church Records|
|GOOG||1563-1647, 1652-1686||1560-1646, 1653-1657||1572-1630|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Genealogy From Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Harris, Pat. My Mackerness Family. History of John Makernes and Elizabeth surname unknown, and their descendants who move to Northampton, Cambridgeshire - Finedon, Hertfordshire, Stevenage, Huntingdon - Elton, and a branch going to Australia, New South Wales, and a branch going to Barbados and onto USA - Virginia. Surnames also mentioned are Deacon, Abbeline, Sutton, Bayes, Rock, Wilson. Article dates range from 1460-1957, and is found in Footprints (Northamptonshire Family History Society Magazine) vol. 26,no.4,pages 31-34, Family History Library Ref. 942.55 D25fo vol. 26
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Oxfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 442-446. Date accessed: 17 September 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county', Origins.net (Wayback Machine), accessed 21 January 2014.
- W.P.W. Phillimore, Oxfordshire Parish Registers, Volume 1 (London: Phillimore and Co., 1907). Digitised by Family Relatives - (£).
- W.P.W. Phillimore, Oxfordshire Parish Registers, Volume 1 (London: Phillimore and Co., 1907). Digitised by FamilySearch Books - free.
- T. Phillipps, Chipping-Norton Register (1825). Digitised by Google Books - free.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Oxford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 January 2014.
- 'OFHS Parish Records Date Finder,', Oxfordshire Family History Society, accessed 24 January 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.