Chipping Barnet, Hertfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Chipping Barnet, Hertfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Chipping Barnet, Hertfordshire|
|County||Hertfordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Barnet|
|Parish registers: 1560; For more records see East Barnet|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - London; Post-1844 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of St Albans|
|Location of Archive|
|Hertfordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Chipping Barnet(St. John the Baptist), is a parish, a town, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban's, county of Hertford, 14 miles (S. W. by S.) from Hertford, and 11 (N.) from London, on the great north road. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Chipping Barnet, Hertfordshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chipping Barnet, Hertfordshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Chipping Barnet on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831. Adapted. Date accessed: 11 January 2014.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 5 March 2014.
- 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013.