Chillesford, Suffolk Genealogy
Guide to Chillesford, Suffolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Suffolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Plomesgate|
|Parish registers: 1740|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Suffolk Archives and Libraries|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CHILLESFORD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Plomesgate, E. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Orford.
|Butley||Butley : Gedgrave||Orford|
Resources[edit | edit source]
If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries. For those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centres. Refer to Chillesford and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalogue for available records.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Chillesford was in Plomesgate district. To search an index of Plomesgate district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article provides more details about these records. Civil Registration began in 1837.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Chillesford, Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chillesford, Suffolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FSBOOK||1740-1745, 1773-1812, 1834, 1841||1742-1743, 1773, 1821||1742-1743, 1773, 1821|
Parish Registers began in the 1500's. They can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office. There are Bishop Transcripts and Parish Registers that have been filmed for most parishes in the County. See the Suffolk Church Records article for further details.
| This section requires expansion with:
Information about parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, parish chest records, non conformist and other types of church records. Also add links to online parish collections. Make reference to records found in the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog. To locate resources, look at Suffolk Parishes in the FamilySearch Catalogue.
Census records[edit | edit source]
There are census records available for Chillesford from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Chillesford Censusin the catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in Suffolk.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details about the Census.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Suffolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 593-597. Date accessed: 24 September 2013.
- 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Suffolk Baptism Index 1538-1911 Place Index', findmypast, accessed 30 December 2015.
- 'Suffolk Marriage Index Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 6 December 2013.
- 'Suffolk "Early" Burial Index Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 6 December 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Suffolk, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 4 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.