Chignall St James, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Chignall St James, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Chignall St James, Essex|
St. James; Chignall St. James Essex.
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Chelmsford|
|Parish registers: 1724|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1801|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Chignal St. James, or Great Chignal, is a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; it is on an affluent of the River Chelmer, 3 miles NW of Chelmsford.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Chignall St James parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chignall St James Online Parish Records|
The benefice of Mashbury, Essex Genealogy was united in 1766 with that of Chignal St James, (Essex Record Office D/P 291). The church at Mashbury became redundant in 1986 and its records are reference D/P 352 at Essex Record Office.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
Chignall St James on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted: Date Accessed 10 May 2013
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- Batch C041851, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- Batch M041851, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.