Chatham, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Chatham, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Chatham St Mary Kent
|Hundred||Chatham and Gillingham; Chatham Town; Rochester City|
|Poor Law Union||Medway|
|Parish registers: 1568|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CHATHAM (St. Mary), a borough, market-town, and parish, and the head of the Medway union, partly within the jurisdiction, and adjoining the city, of Rochester, but chiefly in the hundred of Chatham and Gillingham, N division of the lathe of Aylesford, W division of Kent, 8 miles N by E from Maidstone, and 30 E by S from London St. John's church, of the Doric order, with a tower, and containing 1624 sittings, of which 1090 are free, was completed in 1821. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, and Unitarians; also a Jewish synagogue.
Chatham St Mary Dock Road Chatham is an Ancient Parish; the church was declared redundant in 1974 when the parish church of St Mary Island church took over serving the parish.
The church dated from a rebuild of 1884-1887 but stands on the site of a former Saxon church and contains two Grade II listed tombs designated by English Heritage.
The church functioned for some time as the Medway Heritage Centre.
Luton Christchurch was formed from the Luton, Kent parish.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
The Register Office
Telephone 01634 338902
Fax 01634 338913
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Chatham St Mary the Virgin parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chatham St Mary the Virgin Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1659-1904||1659-1876; 1780-1806 (banns)||1659-1866|
|IGI||1822-1827, 1855-1875||1781-1821, 1828-1834, 1851-1876|
Chatham All Saints parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chatham All Saints Parish Online Records|
Chatham Holy Trinity/Workhouse Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chatham Holy Trinity/Workhouse Chapel Online Records|
Chatham St John the Divine parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chatham St John the Divine Parish Online Records|
Chatham St Paul parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chatham St Paul Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1869-1876||1855-1904; 1855-1872 (banns)|
Chatham St Philip (Wayland) and St James (Walderslade) parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chatham St Philip (Wayland) and St James (Walderslade) Parish Online Records|
Chatham St Stephen parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chatham St Stephen Parish Online Records|
Chatham St William parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chatham St William Parish Online Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Gillingham Family History Centre, Kent
- Canterbury Family History Centre, Kent
- Maidstone Family History Centre, Kent
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 554-558. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 12 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- 'Medway Ancestors Imagebase: list of parishes, in alphabetical order', Cityark, accessed 8 November 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 3 November 2013.