Charlton Horethorne, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Charlton Horethorne, Somerset family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Charlton Horethorne, Somerset|
Charlton Horethorne Somerset
|Poor Law Union||Wincanton|
|Parish registers: 1695|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1598|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CHARLTON-HORETHORNE, or Canfield (St.Peter And St. Paul), a parish, and formerly a market town, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Horethorne, E. division of Somerset, 5½ miles (S. W.) from Wincanton.
Charlton Horethorne St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient Parish in the Wincanton deanery of the Diocese of Bath and Wells in the county of Somerset.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Charlton Horethorne, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|CHARLTON HORETHORNE PARISH Online Records|
Church records on microfilm[edit | edit source]
Parish registers for Charlton-Horethorne, 1695-1902 Microreproduction of original records housed at the Somerset Record Office, Taunton.
Somerset Record Office: D/P CHA.H 2/1/1-6, 2/2/1.
|Baptisms, 1695-1743, 1762-1860. Marriages, 1695-1734, 1754-1806, 1812-1837. Banns, 1754-1785, 1870-1902. Burials, 1695-1743, 1763-1889. (First register very faded.)
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526463 Items 27 - 33
Bishop's transcripts for Charlton-Horethorne, 1599-1863 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Somerset Record Office, Taunton.
Somerset Record Office: D/D/Rr 88-88a, 58b
|Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1599-1640, 1662-1669, 1733, 1743-1765, 1775-1784, 1802-1837. Some other years also missing or with illegible dates due to poor condition of original record.
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1278917 Items 16-17
|Baptisms and burials, 1838-1863; marriages, 1846-1854.
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526167 Item 20
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
England Vital Records Index (FamilySearch Historical Records) known issue Indexing project batch I04481-4 is incorrect. The data entry for place names is incorrect for film 1526463 and affects the parishes of Chard, Somerset , Charlcombe, Somerset, Charlton Adam, Somerset, Charlton Mackrell, Somerset
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Tax records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 14 September 2013.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1531-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.
- E 179 Database, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/, accessed 8 August 2013.