Catfield, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Catfield, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1705|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CATFIELD (All Saints), a parish, in the hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Stalham. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. 
Catfield All Saints is an ancient parish in Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Catfield has an entry in the Domesday Book of 1085. In the great book Catfield is recorded by the names Cate(s)felda. The main landholders being Roger bigot and Count Alan.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Catfield, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Catfield, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1558-1712, 1723-1899||Undefined||1558-1712, 1723-1901||Undefined||1558-1712, 1723-1902|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 531/1-11
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Catfield.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
For Tunstead and Happing see http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Smallburgh/
Hearth Tax[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Catfield on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- waterside group benefice
- British History online
- Mediaeval painting in the church The Stoning of St Stephen
- Literary Norfolk
- British Listed Buildings
- Catfield on Norfolk Churches website
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 531-534. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.