Caterham, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Caterham, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Caterham St+Mary+the+Virgin Surrey
|County||Surrey, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Godstone|
|Parish registers: 1543|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1689|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey History Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CATERHAM, or Katerham (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Godstone, Second division of the hundred of Tandridge, E. division of Surrey, 3¼ miles (N. by W.) from Godstone.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
Orpington Family History Centre, Kent is within the London Borough of Bromley, located adjacent to Orpington Station and on major bus routes through the borough.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Date accessed: 26 September 2013.
- Batches C012291, C012292, P012291, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- Batches M012291, M012292, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.