Cardiganshire, Wales Genealogy
|Cardiganshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Cardiganshire County, Wales ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Historic Cardiganshire[edit | edit source]
Cardiganshire (Welsh: Sir Aberteifi or Ceredigion) was one of thirteen historic counties of Wales. It was a maritime county, bounded to the west by the Irish Sea, to the north by Merionethshire, to the east by Montgomeryshire, Radnorshire and Breconshire, and to the south by Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire. The county was created in the 1240s. The administrative county of Cardiganshire, with an elected county council, was created in 1889 by the Local Government Act 1888. The county was governed by an elected county council, who took over the functions of the Quarter Sessions courts. Aberaeron and Aberystwyth were joint county towns.
Motto: Golud Gwlad Rhyddid (English: A nation's wealth is freedom)
Chapman Code: CGN
1974-1996 Dyfed[edit | edit source]
Under the Local Government Act 1972, the county and administrative county of Cardiganshire were abolished, for both local government and ceremonial purposes, on April 1, 1974, with Cardiganshire becoming part of the newly formed county of Dyfed covering the whole of south-west Wales.
Modern Ceredigion[edit | edit source]
Following further local government reorganisation, the county of Dyfed was abolished on April 1, 1996 and the present-day county of Ceredigion was created. This covers substantially the same area as the historic county of Cardiganshire.
Parishes[edit | edit source]
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1542-1911 - Wales Court and Miscellaneous Records, 1542-1911 at FamilySearch — images
- 1633-1993 - Cardiganshire, Wales, Anglican Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1633-1993, at Ancestry - index & images, ($)
- 1650-1900 - Wales, Marriage Bonds, 1650-1900 at FamilySearch — index
- 1678-2001 - Wales, Parish Registers, 1678-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Topics[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Cardiganshire Resources and Help pages RootsChat Cardiganshire Resources and Help pages. (Free).
- Cardiganshire Family History Society (Web)
- Cardiganshire Family History Society (Facebook)
- Llangynfelyn 1841-1901 Censuses
- Llangynfelyn marriages 1813-1880
- Aberystwyth Workhouse 1881
- Dyfed Family History Society
- Rootsweb Cardiganshire board
- One Place Study for Llangynfelyn Includes links to many indexes and records for this parish.
- The National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth.
- The Ceredigion Archive