Capel, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Capel, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Capel St Thomas A Becket Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Tonbridge|
|Parish registers: 1663; For more records see Tudeley|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1663|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - None|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CAPEL (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in the union, and partly in the lowey, of Tonbridge, but chiefly in the hundred of Washlingstone, lathe of Aylesford, W division of Kent, 3½ miles ESE from Tonbridge. The church was formerly a chapel of ease to Hadlow. 
Capel is a village and civil parish in the Tunbridge Wells district of Kent Capel Kent Wikipedia.
Capel St Thomas a Becket was formed as a chapelry of Tudeley, Kent Genealogy The church ecclesiastical parish was created in 1868 and included the hamlet of Five Oak Green until the church of St Luke Five Oak Green was built in the 1890s.
The church of St Thomas a Becket has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Capel parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS BTs = England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts (FamilySearch) - free|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|Capel Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1754-1825 (banns)|
Prior to 1868 refer to the records for Tudeley, Kent Genealogy which contain events from Capel; Capel records commence from 1663 but are mixed within the mother parish records since Capel was a chapelry of that parish.
Capel International Genealogical Index entries will appear as Tudeley.
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 501-511. Date accessed: 8 July 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013. Described as 'Tudeley and Capel.'
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 12 November 2013.