Calton, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Calton, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||North Totmonslow; South Totmonslow|
|County||Staffordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Ashbourne|
|Parish registers: 1760; For more records see Blore Ray, Mayfield, and Waterfall|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1809|
|Rural Deanery||Alstonfield; Uttoxeter|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CALTON, a chapelry, partly in the parish of Blore, N. division, and partly in the parishes of Croxden, Mayfield, and Waterfall, S. division, of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 5¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Ashbourn, on the road to Leek. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Calton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|CALTON (1690) Online Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Calton, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 474-479. Date accessed: 16 October 2012.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8