Caernarfonshire, Wales Genealogy
Guide to Caernarfonshire County, Wales ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
|Caernarfonshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Historic Caernarfonshire[edit | edit source]
Caernarfonshire (Welsh: Sir Gaernarfon), previously spelt as Caernarvonshire and Carnarvonshire, was one of the thirteen historic counties of Wales. It was a maritime county bounded to the north by the Irish Sea, to the east by Denbighshire, and to the south by Merionethshire. The county was created under the terms of the Statute of Rhuddlan in 1284 and included the cantrefi of Llŷn; Arfon; Arllechwedd; and the the commote of Eifionydd, the northern portion of cantref of Dunoding.
The administrative county of Caernarfonshire, with an elected county council, was created in 1889 by the Local Government Act 1888.
Motto: Cadernid Gwynedd (English: The strength of Gwynedd)
Chapman Code: CAE
1974-1996 Gwynedd[edit | edit source]
Under the Local Government Act 1972, the county and administrative county of Caernarfonshire were abolished, for both local government and ceremonial purposes, on April 1, 1974. The whole of Caernarfonshire became part of the newly formed county of Gwynedd, which covered the whole of north-west Wales, and was split into the districts of Dwyfor, Arfon and Aberconwy.
Modern Gwynedd[edit | edit source]
Following further local government reorganisation, the county of Gwynedd was re-structured, and on April 1, 1996, while the former Caernarfonshire districts of Dwyfor and Arfon remained in Gwynedd, the Aberconwy district became part of the newly formed county borough of Conwy.
Parishes[edit | edit source]
- See a list of parishes in Caernarfonshire with links to their pages.
- Interactive map of Caernarfonshire Caernarfonshire Parishes
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1542-1911 - Wales Court and Miscellaneous Records, 1542-1911 at FamilySearch — imagesd
- 1650-1900 - Wales, Marriage Bonds, 1650-1900 at FamilySearch — index
- 1678-2001 - Wales, Parish Registers, 1678-2001 at FamilySearch — index
- 1930 - England and Wales National Register, 1939 at FamilySearch — index
[edit | edit source]
- Caernarfonshire Census Surname Index
- Caernarfonshire Census Surname Index A-K
- Caernarfonshire Nonconformist Records
- Caernarfonshire Poor Law Unions
Websites[edit | edit source]
- RootsChat Caernarvonshire Resources and Help pages. (Free).
- Gwynedd Archives. Scroll down the page to where you see on the left side Rhagorol On-line Catalogue and click on that link. You will then have the option to select either "Browse" or "Search" the Archives. If you choose to browse, category XD relates to chapel records.
- Download of the 1851 Aber Census Indexes
- Llyn Peninsula Census 1861
- Caernarfon - Pew Rentals
- Conwy St Mary's Parish MIs
- Rootsweb Caernarfonshire board