Burnham, Buckinghamshire Genealogy
Guide to Burnham, Buckinghamshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Buckinghamshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Eton|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1575|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Lincoln; Post-1844 - Oxford|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham|
|Location of Archive|
|Buckinghamshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BURNHAM, is a village, a parish, a subdistrict, and a hundred, in Buckinghamshire. The village is near the river Thames, 2½ miles E by N of Maidenhead. It was formerly a market town. The parish includes also the liberties of Boveney, Boveney-Upper-Side, Britwell, East Burnham, Chippenham, and Wood. There is an Independent chapel. The subdistrict contains five parishes.
References[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Burnham, Buckinghamshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|Burnham, Buckinghamshire Genealogy Online Records|
|IGI||1561-1588, 1623-1632, 1653-1812|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- Primitive Methodist
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Buckinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Burnham on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, [http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/847710 Imperial Gazetter of England and Wales 1870-72. Adapted. Date accessed 11 April 2014
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Buckinghamshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 28 January 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Buckingham, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 4 February 2014.
- 'Buckinghamshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 27 January 2014.