Buckenham, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Buckenham, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Blofield|
|Parish registers: 1714|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Buckenham St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich and the deanery of Blofield. It should not be confused with Old Buckenham, Norfolk Genealogy New Buckenham, Norfolk Genealogy in the diocese.
It has a rare 13th century octagonal tower.
The church was declared redundant in the 1970's suffered heavy vandalism until taken over by the Redundant Churches Trust who have taken care to restore some of the damage.
BUCKENHAM or BUCKENHAM-FERRY (St. Nicholas), a parish,in the union and hundred of Blofield, E. division ofNorfolk, 9 miles (E. S. E.) from Norwich; containing 60 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the river Yare, over which is a ferry.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Buckenham, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS ATs = England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812 (FamilySearch) - free|
|FS BTs = England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941 (FamilySearch) - free|
|TIN = Tinstaafl Transcripts - free|
|Buckenham, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
This parish's registers do not appear at FamilySearch Historical Records as no microfilm for the parish is held. The Norfolk Record Office reference is PD 87/1-8
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms 1600-1609, 1623-1626, 1696-1709, 1726-1742 1765-1813 Marriages 1600-1609, 1702-1707, 1764-1811 Burials 1600-1608, 1623-1636, 1696-1709, 1732-1742 1767-1810||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526737 Item 1
The collection images at FamilySearch Historical Records are incorrectly named at present Buckenham but awaiting correction to read Old Buckenham after engineering. They do not refer to Buckenham St Nicholas but Old Buckenham, Norfolk Genealogy.
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Blofield 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
- Civil registration events post 1837 may be searched online Free BMD
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Blofield/Blofield.shtml
- The union consisted of the following parishes: Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Moulton, Great Plumstead, Little Plumstead, Postwick, Ranworth with Panxworth, Reedham, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Andrew, Tunstall, Upton with Fishley, Walsham St Lawrence, Walsham St Mary, Wickhampton, Witton, Woodbastwick.
Blofield Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was opened in 1836 at Lingwood. Blofield Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 3 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 6 May 1971 (C/GP2/29) and on unknown dates.
- Norfolk Poor Law Union, Norfolk Genealogys
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
England Jurisdictions 1851
•Vision of Britain
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Buckenham on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 415-420. Adapted. Date accessed: 05 February 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 11 April 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Buckenham', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.