Broadstairs, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Broadstairs, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Ringslow or Isle of Thanet|
|Poor Law Union||Thanet|
|Parish registers: 1582|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1560|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BROADSTAIRS, a small sea-port and hamlet, in the parish of St. Peter, union of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, E division of Kent, 2 miles NE by N from Ramsgate, 4 S E by S from Margate, and 75 E from London;. There are places of worship for Anabaptists and Wesleyans.
Broadstairs is a coastal town on the Isle of Thanet in Thanet district of Kent which is part of the civil parish of Broadstairs and St Peter's. For a history of the town see Broadstairs Wikipedia
Broadstairs was formed as an Ecclesiastical parish in 1850 from St Peter in Thanet, Kent Ancient Parish.
(Refer to the Ancient Parish for details of the Broadstairs St Peter Ancient church)
Other places of worship include:
- Old St Mary's Chapel, Albion Street, dates from the ancient shrine of Our Lady of Bradstowe and was restored in 1601 when it was adapted for Protestant worship. It has been designated as a grade II listed building British listed building see Shrine of Our Lady Bradstowe Wikipedia
- Broadstairs Methodist Church
- Broadstairs Baptist Church
- Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, Stone Road, Broadstairs, which dates from 1830 has been designated as a grade II listed building British listed building
- The Roman Catholic Church of our Lady Star of the Sea, Broadstairs Road, has been designated as a grade II listed building British listed building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Broadstairs parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|Broadstairs Online Parish Records|
Microfilm FHL Collection
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.