British Columbia Obituaries
|British Columbia Wiki Topics|
|British Columbia Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- British Columbia Obituaries - links to obituary collections for over 100 newspapers in British Columbia
- Canadian Obituaries Forum - British Columbia
- Canadian Obituaries - British Columbia
- Canada, Obituary Collection, ($) index
- Death Notices Index - Victoria Daily Times, 1901-1938
- Kelowna & District Genealogical Society Obituary Index
- Mennonite Brethren Herald Obituaries, 1961-2010
- Parksville/Qualicum Obituaries 1948-1994
- Vancouver Sun Obituaries & Guest Books
- Victoria Newspapers, 1858-1936
- OBITUARIES of BRITISH COLUMBIANS from The Yukon News obituaries, 1960 to 2000
Obituaries are usually newspaper articles published after or near the time of a person’s death. They may include biographical information such as a person’s date and place of birth, dates of immigration, marriage dates, community service, and names and locations of surviving relatives. Short death or funeral notices from the family or on behalf of a lodge or other organization of which the deceased was a member may also have been published, or the basic facts, usually death date and place, may have been published in a local vital statisitcs column. Longer obituaries for pioneers and prominent people are often found in local newspapers published with local news. If you know the approximate death or burial date of your ancestor, search the entire newspaper around those dates.
Following a death or burial date you may also find letters or notices of thanks from the family, and legal notices of estate matters or property auctions.
The British Columbia Genealogical Society, local genealogical and historical societies, many public libraries and archives, and some newspaper publishers, and some funeral providers in British Columbia maintain clipping files or online copies of obituaries. Obituaries, or abstracts of published obituaries, may also be found in various published sources, such as genealogical, professional and community periodicals.