Bristol Temple, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Bristol Temple, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Bristol Temple, Gloucestershire|
Temple Church Bristol
|Poor Law Union||Bristol|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1671|
|Diocese||Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Bristol in the Deanery of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Bristol Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BRISTOL, a city and county of itself, and a considerable port, is situated near the mouth of the Bristol Channel, and between the counties of Gloucester and Somerset, into both of which the town extends. The city comprised within its ancient limits many parishes including TEMPLE parish or HOLY CROSS.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Bristol Temple, Gloucestershire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BAFHS = Bristol and Avon Family History Society - free|
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) (£)|
|FMP = Gloucestershire, Bristol parish register indexes (findmypast) (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS BTs= England, Bristol Bishop's Transcripts (FamilySearch) - free (some restrictions may apply)|
|FS PRs(1)= England Births, Christenings, Marriages, Burials (FamilySearch) - free (some restrictions may apply). Digitisation of microfilms.|
|FS PRs(2)= England, Bristol Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free (some restrictions may apply). Digitisation of original records.|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|BRISTOL TEMPLE PARISH Online Records|
|FS PRs(2)||1837-1843, 1853-1902||1559-1902||1813-1916||1559-1916||1841-1854, 1870, 1877||1559-1877|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 14 September 2013.
- Price, Roger. 'Marriages at Temple Church, Bristol, 1558-1753,' 2012, Bristol and Avon Family History Society website, accessed 28 May 2016.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 1 December 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 1 December 2012.
- 'Gloucestershire, Bristol Life Events Parish Lists,' findmypast.co.uk, accessed 31 May 2016.
- 'Somerset (including Bristol) Parish Coverage,' FreeREG, accessed 1 June 2016.
- 'FamilySearch Catalogue,' FamilySearch, accessed 1 June 2016.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Gloucester (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 31 May 2016.