Bristol Christ Church with St Ewen, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Bristol Christ Church with St Ewen, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Bristol Christ Church with St Ewen, Gloucestershire|
Christ Church with St Ewen Bristol
|County||Gloucestershire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Bristol|
|Parish registers: 1538; Separate registers exist for Bristol St Ewen beginning 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1670; Separate records exist for Bristol St Ewen beginning 1673|
|Diocese||Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Bristol Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Christ Church with St Ewen (grid reference ST588730) is a Church of England parish church in Broad Street, Bristol, England.
It was built between 1786 and 1791, designed by William Paty and built by his relatives Thomas Paty and Sons, replacing a medieval one. The building was restored in 1973.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Bristol Christ Church, Gloucestershire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BRISTOL CHRIST CHURCH PARISH Online Records|
|FS PRs||1761-1769||1754-1780||1678-1679, 1761-1769|
Bristol St Ewen, Gloucestershire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BRISTOL ST EWEN PARISH Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1642-1996 England, Gloucestershire Non-conformist Records, 1642-1996 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, 'Christ Church with St Ewen,' Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_Church_with_St_Ewen, accessed 31 May 2016.
- Christchurch Parish Baptisms on the B&AFHS CD - Bristol Diocese Baptismal Registers Vols. 11 to 14 : 1754 - 1812, Bristol and Avon Family History Society website, accessed 28 May 2016.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 1 December 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 1 December 2012.
- 'Gloucestershire, Bristol Life Events Parish Lists,' findmypast.co.uk, accessed 31 May 2016.
- 'FamilySearch Catalogue,' FamilySearch, accessed 1 June 2016.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Gloucester (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 31 May 2016.