Brewood, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Brewood, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Penkridge|
|Parish registers: 1562|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1618|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Lichfield|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BREWOOD, a parish, in the union of Penkridge, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Wolverhampton, and 10 (S. by W.) from Stafford. There were two chapelries built within this parish boundary, (with registers of baptisms and burials) including:
- BISHOPSWOOD - constituted in 1851
- COVEN - a liberty, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Brewood had a chapel of ease built in 1839.
The Independents have a place of worship; and there is a Roman Catholic chapel, built in 1844: at Coven is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Brewood St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG =FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|BREWOOD ST MARY PARISH (1556) Online Records|
Coven was originally a manor in the parish of Brewood. The Church was built in 1857.
Brewood St Pauls (Coven) parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BREWOOD ST PAUL (COVEN) (1857) Online Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Brewood Long Birch Roman Catholic parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BREWOOD LONG BIRCH ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL Online Records|
Brewood White Ladies Roman Catholic parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BREWOOD WHITE LADIES ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL Online Records|
Brewood Chillington Roman Catholic parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BREWOOD CHILLINGTON ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL (1720) Online Records|
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire FreeREG and can be searched for free.
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Brewood, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 357-362. Adapted. Date accessed: 16 October 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 September 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- Staffordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - Staffordshire Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8