Bramley, Hampshire Genealogy
Guide to Bramley, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Hampshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Basingstoke|
|Parish registers: 1580|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1705|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BRAMLEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Basingstoke, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4½ miles (N. by E.) from Basingstoke..
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Bramley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|GENUKI = GENUKI - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|BRAMLEY PARISH Online Records|
Brocas Chapel, St. James, Bramley, A listing of hatchments for this chapel. starting with Bernard Brocas the 11th died 8 Nov. 1777, Bernard Broacas, the thirteenth, died 5 July 1839, Bernard Brocas the 14th, died 1861, and one for the wirfe of Bernard Broacas the thwelfth. The Brocas crest is a Moor's head wearing an eastern crown, Bernard Brocas the second was allowed to bear this crest from the mid 14th C, after defeating the King of Morocco in battle. The weather vanes on the church are in the form of the crest. Listing to be found in the hampshire Family Historian, vol.XII,no.1. May 1985,page 59, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h v. 12
Census Records[edit | edit source]
The Reminiscences of William Clift of Bramley. - born 1828 and wrote These my Reminescences 1908" It tells of the many families and farms in the area, and ties in with 1851 Census returns. The article in the magazine gives a list of names that are covered in this book. The North Hants Family History Group, are willing to photocopy the part is relevant to your ancestors. This article is written byMichael Ford, and is to be found in The Hampshire Family Historian. vol. VII, no. 4. Feb 1981, pages127-128, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 339-343. Date accessed: 19 June 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013.
- 'Hampshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 23 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 8 October 2013.
- Phillimore Hampshire Parish Marriage Registers, Vol. 1 (1900). Digital version at GENUKI - free.
- 'Hampshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 30 September 2013.