Bradley, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Bradley, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Stafford|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1636|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BRADLEY-juxta-Stafford (All Saints), a parish, in the W. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, union, and S. division of the county, of Stafford, 3¾ miles (N. W.) from Penkridge containing, the liberties of Billington and Woollaston. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Bradley St Mary and All Saints Ancient Parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG =FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BRADLEY PARISH (1538) Online Records|
|FS||1636-1638, 1677-1864||1636-1638, 1677-1864|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1538-1940 Mar 1538-1944 Bur 1538 -1895
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1636-1834 Mar 1636-1837 Bur 1636-1863 Missing Bap/Bur 1839,1853-1855, 1865-1897
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Bradley, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 331-334. Date accessed: 16 October 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 23 July 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 13 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8