Boughton Malherbe, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Boughton Malherbe, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Boughton Malherbe, Kent|
Boughton Malherbe St Nicholas Kent
|Poor Law Union||Hollingbourne|
|Parish registers: 1671|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BOUGHTON MALHERBE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Hollingbourne, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W division of Kent, 1½ mile SW by S from Lenham. 
Boughton Malherbe is a village and civil parish in the Maidstone district of Kent, see Boughton Malherbe Wikipedia
Boughton Malherbe St Nicholas is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Canterbury and includes the village of Grafty Green within the parish boundary. A Map of the parish boundary may be viewed at A church near you
The Church of St Nicholas, Boughton Road, Boughton Malherbe was restored in 1848-1850 and again in 1909 and has been designated as a grade II* listed building British listed building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
This parish was in the Hollingbourne registration district See Maidstone Registration District
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Boughton Malherbe parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|MIDK = Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911 - free|
|Boughton Malherbe Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1671-1812||1671-1812; 1754-1813 (banns)||1671-1812|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
Images for Boughton Malherbe available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
The 1987 microfilming at Kent Archives reference: DRB/RT40
Images for Boughton Malherbe, Charing, Kent Egerton, Kent, and Lenham, Kent are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1831
The 1987 microfilming at Kent Archives reference: Q/RPL/71
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition, images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 314-317. Dated accessed: 15 July 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 12 November 2013.
- 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.