Blo’norton, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Blo'norton, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records. "
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Guiltcross|
|Parish registers: 1562|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Blo'Norton St Andrew is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
The parish boundary forms the county boundary with Suffolk.
The name reputedly derives from ‘Blae’, old Saxon/Viking meaning both ‘cold’ and ‘blue’. The ‘blue’ could refer to the woad plant that grows in wetter areas and is a source of traditional blue dye. ‘Norton’ is a settlement on the north side of the river. BLO-NORTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Guilt-Cross, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (S. by E.) from East Harling. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. 
Also known as Norton Bell'eau.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Guiltcross 1837-1902
- Thetford 1902-1938
- Wayland 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Blo’norton, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Blo’norton, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FREG||1562-1705, 1714-1900||1562-1705, 1714-1836||1562-1705, 1714-1900|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 198/1-8
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Blo Norton on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- The village website.
- Virginia Woolf connection with Blo'Norton Hall
- http://www.asht.info/ Anglo Sikh Heritage trail for association with Prince Frederick Duleep Singh who is buried in the churchyard]
- Blo Norton Church
- Parish Transcripts Tinstaafl
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 282-286. Date accessed: 2 September 2013.
- Pat Newby, "Norfolk: Towns and Parishes", GenUKI
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.