Blickling, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Blickling, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Blickling St Andrews is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
The flint and limestone 15th century Grade II listed church was substantially remodelled in the 19th century. Surviving from the medieval building is the collection of brasses, several are to the Boleyn family and Anne Boleyn. Sir Nicholas Dagworth (b.1390 an early owner of the hall) is buried in the church and marked by a tombstone. Also of note is the memorial to the eighth Marquis of Lothian by George Frederick Watts.
Blickling is a village and civil parish in the Broadland district of Norfolk, England, about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north-west of Aylsham on the B1354 road. Since the 17th century the village has been concentrated in two areas, around the church and also at the park gates of Blickling Hall. Most of the village is contained in the Blickling Estate, which has been owned by the National Trust since 1940.
BLICKLING (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 1¼ mile (N. W. by N.) from Aylsham. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD .
- Aylsham 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Blickling, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Blickling, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
- 1698-1699 Image 27
- 1715-1716 Image 1198
- 1722-1723 Image 42
- 1722-1723 Image 43
- 1894-1895 Image 6
- 1894-1895 Image 7
- 1894-1895 Image 8
Norfolk Record Office reference PD
Microfilm copy of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library, Norwich.
Item 4 Baptisms 1560-1796 Marriages 1560-1754 Burials 1560-1678 Item 5 Burials 1678-1796 Item 6 Baptisms and burials 1796-1812 Item 7 Baptisms 1813-1897 Item 8 Marriages 1754-1812 Banns 1754-1823 Item 9 Marriages 1813-1836 Item 10 Marriages 1837-1901 Item 11 Banns 1824-1923 FHL BRITISH Film 1471296 Items 4-11
Baptisms and marriages 1600-1610, 1623-1633, 1665-1812 Burials 1600-1610, 1623-1633, 1665-1811 FHL BRITISH Film 1526779 Item 6
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Parish poor law records, 1630-1845 Microfilm copy of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich, England.
Norfolk Record Office no.: PD 434/24-25, 28, 31, 33, 35-40.
Overseer's accounts & poor rate assessments, 1758-1836 Apprenticeship indentures, 1630-1797 Settlement certificates, 1722-1845 Bastardy bonds, 1774, 1793-1794 Settlement certificates, 1796-1827 FHL BRITISH Film 1702229 Items 10-20
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Blickling on GenUKI
- Blickling A-Church-Near-You website
- Blickling Parish Church SevenChurches website
- Listed buildings
- British History
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 282-286. Date accessed: 2 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Blickling', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.