Bjursås Parish, Kopparberg, Sweden Genealogy
Guide to Bjursås Parish, Sweden ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 History
- 2 Place Names
- 3 Good News (Household Examination Records)
- 4 Collections
- 4.1 Census Records
- 4.2 Church Records
- 4.3 Military Records
- 4.4 Related Sources
- 4.5 Help Reading Swedish Records
- 4.6 Help Reading Old Handwriting
- 4.7 Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
- 4.8 References
History[edit | edit source]
Bjursås is a locality situated in Falun Municipality, Dalarna County, Sweden.
|Bjursås Parish, Kopparberg, Sweden Genealogy|
|Län||1631-1640 Kopparberg, 1641-1646 Säter, 1647- Kopparberg|
|Tingslag||-1893 Leksand, Ål and Bjursås, 1894-1915 Leksand, 1916-1947 Leksand and Gagnef, 1948-1970 Nedansiljans domsaga|
|Domsaga||1687-1875 Östra later called Österdalarne, 1876-1970 Nedansiljan, 1971- Falun|
|Fögderi||1720-1946 Nedansiljan, 1946- Falun|
|Kommun||1863-1970 Bjursås, 1971- Falun|
|Militär indelning||Dal-regementet: Rättviks Kompani, Dalregementet: Majorens (Leksands) and Rättviks kompanier|
|NAD Ref Code||SE/ULA/10116|
|National Archive SVAR||link|
|SCB Congregation map||link|
|Open Street map||link|
Place Names[edit | edit source]
Backgården, Baggbo, Baggarfvet, Björsberg, Bodarne, Boränget,
Gopa, Gästgivare gården,
Liholm, Limbo, Lustbo,
Nedre Larssveden, Nygården, Näset,
Skarpsweden, Skärbaggeholen, Slättberg, Storgården, Storsweden, Stortägt, Stängslen, Sågen, Sågsbo, Sörskog,
Thomasbo, Tomta, Tysktägten,
Öfra Lars Sweden.
- Surrounding Parishes
Good News (Household Examination Records)[edit | edit source]
Good news for Bjursås researchers! You have earlier husförhörslängd (household examinations) available to you than previously thought.
Records were found among those for Leksand församling (parish) that did not seem to belong to Leksand. They turned out to be those for Bjursås. There is a notation on the Leksand husförhörslängder list inside the books to this effect. Why they are with the Leksand records is unclear. Bjursås does show as part of the Leksand kontract (set of parishes), and the Leksand tingslag (a judicial district) in a later time period. Each of these has a note on the SVAR Web site. For AI:5 – “Includes Gopa skriftelag in Bjursås, which was moved there 1792. For 1695-1701, only communion record.” And for AI:6 - “Valid from 1709 to 1735. Includes Gopa skriftelag in Bjursås, which was moved there 1792.” These village names do appear in the Leksand vital records for the late 1600's and the early 1700's time period. Perhaps the Gopa area was sharing the Leksand parish priest.
Current published listings for Bjursås parish at the Nationell ArkivDatabas (NAD), at Ancestry.com, and on the FamilySearch Catalog , all show that husförhörslängd for Bjursås start in 1710. These two volumes cover 1690-1707 and 1709-1735, respectively, for villages in the Gopa area. Here are the villages (with original spellings), the time periods covered (there are notations in the records for later dates than the examinations are for), and where they are found in the books:
Find these under Leksand parish:
FamilySearch Catalog #0206531, items 7 & 8
Listed as Leksand Volume AI:5; 1690-1705
Listed as Leksand Volume AI:6; 1709-1719
Collections[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
- Sweden Household Examination Records (Husförhörslängder)--explanation of this church record which is functionally the census of Sweden.
- Sweden Household Examination Books, 1840-1947, ($), index and images. Also on Ancestry.com, ($), Arkiv Digital ($), and SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
See Good News section above.
Online Database Church Records[edit | edit source]
The easiest way to access the Swedish Church Records is through the internet, using these five sites (see links to specific collections below). Four of these sites require a subscription for access. (ArkivDigital, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage.com are available at a FamilyHistory Center near you free of charge.)
- Sweden, Kopparberg Church Records, 1604-1900; index 1628-1860 at FamilySearch.
- MyHeritage.com ($),
- Ancestry.com ($),
- Arkiv Digital ($), and
- SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Help Using ArkivDigital: Online Databases for Sweden[edit | edit source]
- These lessons will teach you how to use ArkivDigital:
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
Click Sweden, Kopparberg Records for a full listing of microfilmed records (some digitized online) at the Family History Library, that may be digitized. Check back occasionally to see if your records have become available. In the meantime, some of them might be available at a Family History Center near you.
Click on "Places within Sweden, Kopparberg and then select your parish.
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Related Sources[edit | edit source]
Help Reading Swedish Records[edit | edit source]
- You do not have to be fluent in Swedish to read these records! They have a limited vocabulary: mother, father, born, bride, groom, married, etc. The rest of the content will be names, dates, and places, which do not need translation.
- This Swedish Word List covers typical terms found in the records.
- Swedish Historical Dictionary Database, SHDD: This interactive dictionary allows you to enter a word in the search box and receive the translation.
- Feast Day Calendar (Moveable) and Feast Day Lists (Fixed and Moveable) will help you translate dates written in feast day form.
- Sweden surnames are patronymic and change every generation, so carefully study Sweden Names, Personal.
- For help with reading the column headings found in more recent records, see Swedish Parish Register and Household Exam Roll Headings.
- Instructions, document examples, and translations are given for Reading Swedish Birth and Christening Records 1717, 1752, 1771, 1792, 1803, 1834, 1854.
Help Reading Old Handwriting[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Online Lessons - Reading Scandinavian Handwriting:
Help With Research Objectives and Strategies[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Bjursås parish, Husförhörslängd 1847-1856 AI;19 and AI:20, Register.
Riksarkivet. "Bjursås Församling." Nationell ArkivDatabas (NAD). March 2011 http://www.nad.ra.se/