Bishop's Cleeve, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Bishop's Cleeve, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Bishop's Cleeve, Gloucestershire|
|Hundred||Cleeve or Bishop's Cleeve|
|Poor Law Union||Winchcombe|
|Registration District||Tewkesbury; Winchcomb|
|Parish registers: 1563|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Bishop's Cleeve|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BISHOPS-CLEEVE, a township in Winchcombe district, and a parish in Winchcombe and Tewkesbury districts, Gloucester. The township lies 1¾ mile E of Cleeve r. station, and 3 N by E of Cheltenham; and has a post office under Cheltenham. The parish includes also the hamlets of Gotheringtone, Woodmancote, Stoke-Orchard, and Southam and Brockhampton.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Bishop's Cleeve parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BISHOP'S CLEEVE PARISH Online Records|
Stoke Orchard parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Stoke Orchard Online Records|
|AC||1815-1833 (gaps)||1815-1833 (gaps)|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10544. Date accessed: 17 July 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 17 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 22 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 22 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 5 July 2016.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 1 December 2012.
- 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.
- Gloucestershire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 April 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes.