Birkenhead St James, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Birkenhead St James, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Birkenhead St James, Cheshire|
Birkenhead St James
|County||Cheshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Wirral|
|Parish registers: 1865|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1898|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Birkenhead, St. James, Laird Street/Hoylake Road. Built in 1858 as a chapel to St Mary, becoming a separate parish in 1876.
BIRKENHEAD, a seaport town, a market town, and a township, and seven chapelries, in the district of Wirral, Cheshire. The town stands on the Mersey, opposite Liverpool, about a mile by water W of Liverpool, and 14 3/4 miles by railway NNW of Chester. It comprises the ancient extra parochial district orchapelry of Birkenhead, the former township of Claughton, in Bidston, and part of that of Oxton, in Woodchurch. They have been incorporated with the township of Birkenhead. The place was anciently called Bircheved, Birkete, Birket-wood, and Birkenhedde.
There are upward of thirty non-established places of worship (including Claughton and Oxton). There are two Roman Catholic churches. There is also a Mariners' church. St. James, was constituted in 1841.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Birkenhead St James parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Birkenhead St James Parish (1865) Online Records|
|FS BT'S||1898-1899|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Registers of Baptisms 1865–1967 and Marriages 1869–1972 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office (no burials here) and they have been filmed by FamilySearch and are available for searching online.
Here is a list of parish registers on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
Parish registers for St. James' Church, Birkenhead, 1865-1951 Cheshire Record Office call no.: P 75/1/1-8, P 75/2/1-5.
|Parish Registers: St. James' Church, Birkenhead||Film|
||2104343 Items 13 - 19|
|Baptisms, 1944-1951. Marriages, 1869-1951.
Bishop's transcripts for St. James' Church, Birkenhead, 1898-1899 Cheshire Record Office: EDB 27
|Bishops Transcripts: St. James' Church, Birkenhead||Film|
||1647365 Item 1|
|Another filming, 1990.
||1656809 Item 2|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Birkenhead St James on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) adapted 5 February 2013