Biddenden, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Biddenden, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Biddenden All Saints Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Tenterden|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BIDDENDEN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Tenterden, hundred of Barclay, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W division of Kent, 5 miles E by N from Cranbrook. There is a meeting-house for dissenters.
Biddenden is a village and civil parish in the Ashford district of Kent Biddenden Wikipedia
Biddenden All Saints is an Ancient Parish. The church is mediaeval built originally in the 13th century with 14th and 15th century additions.
The conjoined twins Mary and Eliza Chulkhurst "The Biddenden Maids" 1100-1134 are commemorated in the village sign. Biddenden Maids Wikipedia
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|Biddenden Online Parish Records|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Kent ($)|
|Find My Past Banns-Kent ($)|
|Ancestry-Church of England BMD-Kent ($)|
|Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
|National Burial Index-FMP (Free)|
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - Kent ($)
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Kent ($)
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records Biddenden 1780-1831
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- All Saints, Biddenden A Church Near You
- All Saints, Biddenden British Listed Buildings
- All Saints, Biddenden Kent Churches
- Biddenden British History Online
- Biddenen HistoryThe History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7 Author Edward Hasted Year published 1798 Pages 130-141
- Biddenden Parish Kent Online Parish Clerks
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 233-237. Date accessed: 1 July 2013.