Bermondsey St James, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Bermondsey St James, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Bermondsey St James, Surrey|
|Poor Law Union||Bermondsey|
|Parish registers: 1829|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1846|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
This church was created a chapel of ease in the year 1830. St James lay within the civil parish boundaries of Bermondsey St Mary Magdalene.
Bermondsey St James, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
BERMONDSEY (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish and union, in the borough of Southwark, E. division of the hundred of Brixton and of Surrey, 1½ mile(S. S. E.) from London. 
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 214-223. Date accessed: 18 February 2014.
- 'Surrey Marriage Index - Parishes in the index,' British Origins, accessed 18 September 2012.
- 'Greater London Burials: South London Burials: Parishes, Period and Counts,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- Batch M006031, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.