Berlin Moving Records (Melderegister)
|Berlin, Brandenburg |
|Reading the Records|
|Local Research Resources|
Melderegister Records[edit | edit source]
In the Residents registration or Melderegister Records (moving records), information can be found for the years 1875-1960 in Berlin. However, because of loss and damage from the war it can be missing data for many time periods. Until now people with birthdates prior to 1850 could rarely be found. You must be able to provide the following information:
- maiden names of women
- Name they were known by
The old Berlin registration index from 1875 to 1960 is available in the Landesarchiv for information on former residents. The index contains information about people whose registration of residence in West-Berlin has generally been cancelled by 31/1/1960 (due to relocation or death). For East-Berlin the cut off year is 1948. Later registration documents can be found in the Landeseinwohneramt (Friedrichstraße 219, Referat Meldeangelegenheiten, 10958 Berlin). There is as yet little data available on people who were born before 1850. Information from the index can be obtained, if surname, forenames, date of birth and (with married people) previous name are provided.
- Married women can normally only be searched for with the data of their husbands.
- Where under age persons are searched for, details about both parents need to be given.
- Adresses are not a search criterion; they serve only as confirmation in the case of a succesful search.
- Documents such as birth, marriage and death certificates cannot be issued from the index. In such cases the Landesarchiv can only attempt to find the relevant Berlin registry office.
- In accordance with the archive law of state of Berlin § 9, people who seek information from the index have to satisfy the Landesarchiv of a legitimate interest.
This is normally proven by photocopies of relevant documents.
- Use of the index is subject to a charge. A fee of € 10,- for each person investigated is payable per enquiry. Fees that have already been payed at other offices (Landeseinwohneramt etc.) cannot be taken into account.
A request form for records is available: click here.