Bere Ferrers with Bere Alston, Devon Genealogy
Guide to Bere Ferrers with Bere Alston, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Bere Ferrers with Bere Alston, Devon|
|Poor Law Union||Tavistock|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1605|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BEER-FERRIS (St. Andrew), or Bere Ferrers, a parish, in the union of Tavistock, hundred of Roborough, Tavistock and S. divisions of Devon, 7½ miles (S. by W.) from Tavistock; comprising the ancient borough of Beer Alston.
BEER-ALSTON, formerly a borough and market town, in the parish of Beer-Ferris, union of Tavistock, hundred of Roborough, Tavistock and S. divisions of Devon, 14 miles (N.) from Plymouth. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship here.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Bere Ferrers with Bere Alston parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Bere ferrers with Bere Alston Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Devon Archives and Local Studies.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- Bible Christian Methodist
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
1737 Estate Map[edit | edit source]
Annotated photograph of 1737 estate map of area around Whitsam showing fields and who farmed them. Fig 6.16, p. 151 inMining in a Medieval Landscape: The Royal Silver Mines of the Tamar Valley. By Steven Rippon, Peter Clughton and Chris Smart. Exeter: University of Exeter Press. 2009. The original is identified as a Plan of the Manor of Bere Ferrers surveyed for Lord Hobart, 1737 in the Mount Edgecumbe Papers, Cornwall Record Office - ME2424.
19th Century Map[edit | edit source]
Map showing and naming all groups of cottages and farmsteads in the parish, created from 6" to 1 mile edition of map. Text suggests that most of the places have been in existance since the medieval period - Fig. 6.13, page 146 of Mining in a Medieval Landscape: The Royal Silver Mines of the Tamar Valley. By Steven Rippon, Peter Clughton and Chris Smart. Exeter: University of Exeter Press. 2009.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Bere Ferrers wit Bere Alston on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Rippon, Steven, Peter Clughton and Chris Smart. Mining in a Medieval Landscape: The Royal Silver Mines of the Tamar Valley. Exeter: University of Exeter Press. 2009. pbk ISBN 978 0 85989 828 7. The parish was at one time the center of England silver mining, The mines opened in 1292 under direct Crown control until 1349 whereupon they were leased out until they closed in the 16th century. The book puts the mines into local and national historical context. Contains a discussion of experienced hard rock miners being brought in from the Peak District (Derbyshire) and Northeast Wales to work the mine. There are numerous maps, aerial and land photographs of the parish. Extensive bibliography of manuscripts and published resources.