Bedfordshire Church Records
|Bedfordshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources and Databases[edit | edit source]
- England, Bedfordshire Parish Registers, 1538-1983 at FamilySearch — index
- Births, burials and marriages, 1776-1799, Society of Friends. Bedford Quarterly Meeting (images)
- Births, marriages and burials, 1776-1837, Society of Friends. Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Quarterly Meeting, index and images.
- Births, marriages and burials, 1776-1837, Society of Friends. Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Quarterly Meeting (images)
- Bedfordshire, England, Extracted Church of England Parish Records, index, incomplete. ($)
- Bedfordshire parish registers at Internet Archive, e-books.
Hierarchy of Bedfordshire Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Here is the hierarchy of Church of England jurisdictions for Bedfordshire:
- Before 1837, the county consisted of 122 parishes, parts of six others (five shared with Hertfordshire and one with Northamptonshire), and three extra-parochial tracks. More parishes were created as the population expanded, especially in the cities. See a list of parishes with links to articles.
- The parishes are grouped into six deaneries (Bedford, Clapham, Dunstable, Easton, Fleete, and Shefford).
- The six deaneries constitute the Archdeaconry of Bedford.
- Before 1837, the archdeaconry was in the Diocese of Lincoln. Since 1837, it has been in the Diocese of Ely.
- The diocese is included in the Province of Canterbury.
Parish Register Indices[edit | edit source]
The Bedfordshire Family History Society has produced a CD with a cumulative index to the registers of 130 parishes through 1812 (baptisms, marriages, and burials): FHL British CD-ROM no. 2126.
Transcripts of most Bedfordshire parish registers have been published.
Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837 Listed in alphabetical order.
Dustydocs also has Links to Free Genealogical Websites containing Parish Records.
Comparison of parish burial registers to probate records and to census data indicate that approximately 20-30% of burials in Bedfordshire were not recorded in the registers. 
Copies of Records at the Family History Library[edit | edit source]
Of 154 pre-1900 parishes of Bedfordshire (including city parishes), the Genealogical Society of Utah has filmed the original parish registers for 148, or 96%. This number does not include Bishop’s Transcripts, Archdeacon Transcripts, parish chest material or other transcripts, many of which have also been microfilmed. In the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Place Search for the name of a parish.
Bedfordshire Parish Chest Records available at the Family History Library[edit | edit source]
|Bedford, St. Mary's||1827-1868|
Nonconformist Records[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 1 September 2013.
- 'Genoot Library - British Isles Vital Record Index Breakdown,' Genoot, accessed 1 September 2013.
- The evaluation of Bedfordshire burial registration, Razzell Spence & Woollard, Local Population Studies