Beckley, Oxfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Beckley, Oxfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Oxfordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Headington|
|Parish registers: 1703|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1678; 1721|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford|
|Location of Archive|
|Oxfordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BECKLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Headington, hundred of Bullington, county of Oxford, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Wheatly containing the hamlets of Studley and Horton. 
Beckley is an Ancient Parish partly in Buckinghamshire and mostly in Oxfordshire.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|Beckley Online Parish Records|
|FamilySearch Parish Registers-Oxfordshire|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Oxfordshire ($)|
|Find My Past Marriage Bonds-Oxfordshire ($)|
|Ancestry Church of England BMD - Oxfordshire ($)|
|Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
Other Online Records
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - Oxfordshire ($)
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Oxfordshire ($)
- Oxfordshire Family History Society
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 0474572.
To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee or free.
- findmypast - fee-based but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk - fee-based but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk - fee-based but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a free based UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Oxfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 188-194. Date accessed: 18 September 2012.