Beckenham St George, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Beckenham, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Beckenham St George, Kent|
Beckenham St George Kent
|Hundred||Bromley and Beckenham|
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Bromley|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1719|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BECKENHAM (St. George), a parish, in the union of Bromley, hundred of Bromley and Beckenham, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 1¾ mile (W.) from Bromley, and 10 (S. S. E.) from London. 
Beckenham is a town in the London Borough of Bromley Beckenham Wikipedia
Beckenham St George is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Rochester; a map of the parish boundary may be found at A church near you.
The church of St George High Street Beckenham has been designated as a grade B listed building British listed building
Beckenham London Road Cemetery (Beckenham Cemetery) a municipal cemetery for Bromley Borough was opened in 1877 and Beckenham Crematorium and Cemetery Elmers End Beckenham is also located to serve that borough.
From this Ancient Parish were created:
Beckenham Christchurch: Fairfield Rd. Built 1876; parish created 1878 from Beckenham St George.Kent Churches website
Beckenham Holy Trinity: Lennard Rd. (Formerly 'Penge Lane'). Built 1878; parish created 1878 from Beckenham St George. Kent Churches website
Beckenham St Barnabas: Oakhill Rd. Built 1878/84, replacing iron church; parish created 1877 from Beckenham St George. Kent Churches website
Elmers End, St James: St James's Ave. Built 1879-88; parish created 1879 from Beckenham St George.
New Beckenham, St Paul: Brackley Rd. Built and parish created 1872 from Beckenham St George. Kent Churches website
St Michael & All Angels: Birkbeck Estate (Ravenscroft Rd). Church built 1899-1906, succeeding 1877 iron church; Destroyed 1944 and rebuilt 1955-6; parish created 1907 from Beckenham St George. Kent Churches website
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Beckenham St George parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Beckenham St George Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1772-1877||1813-1874; 1790-1822 (banns)||1772-1864|
Deposited Parish registers are held at Bromley Archives reference P 19
Bromley Central Library
Telephone: 020 8461 7170
Fax: 020 8466 7860
Beckenham Christ Church parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Beckenham Christ Church Parish Online Records|
Beckenham Holy Trinity parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Beckenham Holy Trinity Parish Online Records|
Beckenham St Michael parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Beckenham St Michael Parish Online Records|
Beckenham St Paul parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Beckenham St Paul Parish Online Records|
Shortlands parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Shortlands Parish Online Records|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
Images for are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1831
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
3 Volumes Deposited Poor Books for Beckenham St George are held at Bromley Archives
- reference 1778 - 1802 P/19/5/6
- Poor Book 1803-1829 P/19/5/3
- Parish: Poor Book 1829-1836 P/19/5/5
Bromley Central Library
Telephone: 020 8461 7170
Fax: 020 8466 7860
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
Orpington Family History Centre, Kent is within the London Borough of Bromley, located adjacent to Orpington Station and on major bus routes through the borough.
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A. A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 184-187. Date accessed: 1 July 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 12 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.