Bearstead, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Bearstead, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Bearsted Holy Cross Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Maidstone|
|Parish registers: 1563|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1564|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BEARSTED (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Maidstone, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 2½ miles (E.) from Maidstone.
Bearsted is a village and civil parish in the Maidstone district of Kent Bearsted Wikipedia
Bearsted Holy Cross is an Ancient Parish in the diocese of Canterbury.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- 1837-2003 Maidstone Registration District
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|Bearstead Online Parish Records|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Kent ($)|
|Find My Past Banns-Kent ($)|
|Ancestry-Church of England BMD-Kent ($)|
|Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
|National Burial Index-FMP (Free)|
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - Kent ($)
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Kent ($)
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census returns for Bearsted 1851-1891
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records Bearsted 1780-1831
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Holy Cross, Bearsted A Church Near You
- Holy Cross, Bearsted British Listed Buildings
- Holy Cross, Bearsted Kent Archaeological Society
- Holy Cross, Bearsted Kent Churches
- Holy Cross, Bersted British History Online
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 184-187. Date accessed: 1 July 2013.