Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire|
|County||Staffordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Burton upon Trent|
|Registration District||Burton upon Trent|
|Parish registers: 1571|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1660|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BARTON-UNDER-NEEDWOOD, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Tatenhill, union of Burtonupon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Offlowand of the county of Stafford, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Burton.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD includes registered births for the Burton upon Trent Registration District . Staffordshire BMD The registration district prior to 1937 included this parish. From 1937 onwards the Lichfield district was responsible. Registers are now held at The Register Office, The Old Library Building, Bird Street, Lichfield WS 13 6PN Tel. 01543 510773
Church records[edit | edit source]
Barton under Needwood St James formed 1796 as a chapelry of Tatenhill, Staffordshire Genealogy
Barton under Needwood chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BARTON UNDER NEEDWOOD PARISH (1571) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1571-1943 Mar 1571-1939 Bur 1571-1938 Microfilm held only Bap 1888-1943 Mar 1904-1939
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1660-1868 Mar 1660-1837 Bur 1660-1868
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 22 October 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 13 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- Staffordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8