Barton in the Clay, Bedfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Barton in the Clay, Bedfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Barton in the Clay, Bedfordshire|
|County||Bedfordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Luton|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1602|
|Diocese||Pre-1837 - Lincoln; Post-1836 - Ely|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford|
|Location of Archive|
|Bedfordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BARTON-IN-THE-CLAY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county of Bedford, 3¼ miles S from Silsoe, 7 miles N of Luton railway station. It has a post office under Ampthill. It has Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Barton in the Clay, Bedfordshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Barton in the Clay, Bedfordshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- Particular Baptist
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Registration District[edit | edit source]
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Bedfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Barton in the Clay on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 161-164. Date accessed: 29 August 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'Bedfordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 April 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Bedfordshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 April 2014.
- 'National Burial Index - Bedfordshire Coverage,' findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 17 April 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.